Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Believer in Training

This morning I was doing some reading from a book by Charles Haddon Spurgeon that he wrote on prayer & spiritual warfare. We are in the middle of a series on prayer right now and NorthStar and it is part of the reading that I am doing! I ran across a portion of the book this AM that was so solid!! I hope it blesses you as much it blessed me!

Have you ever noticed that whenever God is about to give you a promotion, elevating you to a larger sphere of service or a higher platform of spiritual life, you always get thrown down? That is His usual method of working. He makes you hungry before He feeds you. He strips you before He clothes you. He make you nothing before He makes you something. This was the case with David. He was to be king in Jerusalem, but he had to go to the throne by way of the cave. (p. 109)

Things God wants to teach you:

  • Pray

Ps. 142:1 I cry aloud to the LORD;
I lift up my voice to the LORD for mercy.

  • Always believe in God

Ps. 142:3 When my spirit grows faint within me,
it is you who know my way.
In the path where I walk
men have hidden a snare for me.

  • Stand Alone

Ps. 142:4 Look to my right and see;
no one is concerned for me.
I have no refuge;
no one cares for my life.

  • Delight in God

Ps. 142:5 I cry to you, O LORD;
I say, "You are my refuge,
my portion in the land of the living."

  • Sympathize

Ps. 142:6 Listen to my cry,
for I am in desperate need;
rescue me from those who pursue me,
for they are too strong for me

  • Praise

Ps. 142:7 Set me free from my prison,
that I may praise your name.
Then the righteous will gather about me
because of your goodness to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff...