Wednesday, July 18, 2007

2 Things to Remember

We have had a young man hanging out with us the past few days that is a student in seminary. Having gotten the seminary degree and doing that journey myself, I realize that there were some things that I did not get! He has spent time hanging out with our staff team and learning how they do their ministry and what makes them tick! Yesterday, he & I spent some time together talking about my role at NorthStar and what it is like and what is really important to me.

There were two things that stuck out that we talked about in that hour discussion about what makes a great church and a church that is a "fun" place to work! (by the way, I think church is like a marriage - we work on it as we grow it but we do not work "at it" all of the time - trying to make it work). The first thing, in my role that is huge that you may not learn in seminary is that your #1 calling is to love God & love people, if you do that He blesses you and they (the church) always sense that you have their best interest in mind and they cut you some slack!! I have also noticed that they "love you back".........NorthStar is the most incredible place about keeping you encouraged! The second thing is that you are only as strong as the team around you! You better pick great team-mates for the journey! We have hired 80% of our team from within NorthStar and that has worked great because they have already bought into the vision of who we are and where we are going! I rely on our team (no doubt the best I have ever worked with) more than anyone will ever realize!!

If you can master those 2 things - I believe you are off to a great start in building a church of "influence"! Thanks NorthStar for being such an awesome place and letting me learn as I go and thanks NStar team for making it happen day after day and week after week - you are a blast to do life with!!

1 comment:

Jason h said...

Hey! i'm going to cali this sunday.. gonna be there for a week, this is the site i was talking about where i made the extra cash. later!