Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Hero


I have a few heroes in this world and tonight I had the opportunity to be with one of them. When I was in college I had the opportunity to be coached by and play for one of the all-time baseball greats, Bobby Richardson. Richardson played for the NY Yankees during their glory years in the late 1950's & 60's. He was the 1960 World Series MVP, 5 time gold-glove winner and 7 time AL all-star at second base. When you think of the Yankee greats....Maris, Mantle, Dimaggio, Skowren, Kubek, Berra...Richardson is always mentioned in the same breath!

However, Coach Richardson is most noted for his strong walk with Jesus Christ and the influence he had in the Yankee clubhouse. He has spoken on national television at the funerals for Yankee Dick Howser and most recently at the funeral for Mickey Mantle who he & his Betsy helped lead to Christ before he passed. Richardson is a frequent guest in Major League Clubhouses and at other major sporting events where he shares his story and tells of his years with the Yankees.

After playing for Coach for 3 years at Liberty in the late 80's and early 90's, I got to see him on a daily basis live out his faith. He is the same ALL the time and is truly one of the most genuine people I have ever met. Tonight, I got to sit in a room with my 13 year old son and he got to hear the same stories I have heard so many times through the years and as usual he left saying, "That was one of the greatest nights of my life"!!

I pray that one day when I am in my 70's and my kids are grown (like his) and I have been married for 52 years (like Coach).......I pray that my walk is still true and my passion for others to know Christ is strong and I guess I pray the most.......that those who know me best will love me most!

Thanks Coach!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling you are going to be right behind him. Your walk is very real and true ...no pretenses ...and you are an example to so many.
The kiddos and Anne are truly blessed , just as you are to have them.
God is good...all the time !