Friday, October 24, 2008

Home from the burg!!

After an absolutely slammed Monday & Tuesday of this past week - I jumped on plane (which I never do) and flew to Lynchburg, VA for 2 days. I was invited to speak at Liberty University (Go Flames) on Thursday and to share about the work that we do at NorthStar with business leaders! It was a blast to be back at LU!

After graduating in 91 - I have only been back a couple of times through the years. I am absolutely blown away at how HUGE the campus has grown and all that is happening there! I was so proud of the school and its leadership in continuing to expand & grow but not losing the focus of why they are there!!

I spent Wednesday going around the campus and just taking it in and remembering my 4 incredible years there......Some of the greatest days of my life were spent on that campus! Here are a couple of the highlights of the trip:

  • Ran into Jeff Alder, Head Men's Soccer Coach, Jeff was a student & soccer player during my time at LU. He was a great guy then but it was so cool to see the passion he now leads the program with!! I was so proud of him!!
  • Went by dorm 18 where I spent 3 years.....didn't go in however...it didn't smell good 18 years ago - cannot imagine now!
  • Drove by Anne's dorm and remembered all the trips I used to make across campus to pick her up!
  • Went to the area outside DeMoss Hall where we all used to hang out so much!
  • Visited the spot behind Carter-Glass mansion where I proposed to Annie!
  • Spent the afternoon at the baseball field...met the new coach (nice guy) and took a tour of the fieldhouse that we were promised would be there when they recruited me in 87...It was sweet! Watched an intra-squad game and just relaxed for a little while and took in the time!
  • Sat behind Atlanta Brave favorite, Sid Bream - also an LU grad - who was there watching his son play who is a freshman!
  • Ate at Shakers.....used to be the best spot in town!!
Liberty University is a one of a kind place! It was hard to be there and not think about Dr. Falwell and his larger than life personality! Doc - you would be proud of how alive your dream still is!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was the BEST 5 years of someone's life...You guys will have to make it next year to Homecoming. It is amazing to see a dream realized !
If we would only dream more :)