Sunday, August 3, 2008

A voice that will be missed!!!


I will never forget the words across the TV......."Braves win....Braves win.....Braves win" from Skip Caray as Sid Bream slid across home plate to beat the Pittsburgh Pirates to clinch the National League!! I never dreamed growing up as a life-long Braves fan that you could become so attached to a voice calling a game. You see, growing up in Fayetteville, GA there was not a whole lot to do in the summer, so we spent virtually every night either listening to Skip & Pete on the radio or on Channel 17.

The Braves were awful during those days in the 70's & 80's and were out of contention most years by the All-Star break. Skip & Pete would banter about nothing and I felt like I knew him and could close my eyes and see the game through his voice. I am so glad that Skip & Pete both got to be a part of a Braves World Series Championship in 1995!!

I just saw posted on AJC. com that Skip had passed away in his sleep here at his home in Atlanta. Thanks Skip for your love of baseball and your love of the Braves and for all of the stories that you passed on to me as a kid that I now pass on to my own son who has grown up listening to you as well!! I am going to miss your voice - it took me back every time I heard you!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My friends, Rob and Catherine Dunn, just started at your church a few weeks ago. They love it. I was talking with her last night and she told me what a huge Braves fan you are and so I gave her pointers to win you over. Complain about the trade to the Angels; look miserable and mention "Tommy Johns surgery" (of course, she asked that I e-mail both of these items to her). Anyway, thanks for loving on my precious friends. We are praying for your church. Bert and Heather Scott

Anonymous said...

It absolutely doesn't get better than Skip and Pete....it's been a tough year for the Braves - and a very sad day when Skip passed......NHE (Howie Espenshied)